Diabetes Association of Thailand
Report of Activities in 2012 (Nov 2011–October 2012)
Annual scientific meeting of the association was held on August 17, 2012. New Paradigm of Diabetes Care in Thailand was the theme of meeting. There were approximately two hundreds physicians and nurses attended the meeting.
World Diabetes Day Activities 2011
Facing a long big flood in the last quarter of year 2011, a limited activity was organized on World Diabetes Day (WDD). Other activities were postponed.
1. Diabetes Association of Thailand working with a Medical Service Unit, Permanent Secretary of the Ministry of Defense provided diabetes service for flood evacuees in 2 emergency shelters, the National Gymnasium and Government Complex Commemorating His Majesty the King’s 80th Birthday Anniversary, 5th December 2009. The team carrying essential equipments and drugs travelled by a 5-ton truck of the Royal Thai Military to the destination.
Medical Team and the 5-Ton Truck Boat and high clearance vehicle travelled in the same road
Flood in front of the emergency Diabetes Service
2. The other two WDD activities scheduled in November 2011 were postponed to March 2012 after recovery from flood. Diabetes Association of Thailand in cooperation with Department of Medicine, the Royal Thai Military Medical College organized WDD 2011 on the 10th of March 2012 at Pramongkutkloa Hospital and with the Ministry of Public Health on the 25-26th of March 2012 at Impact Muaeng Thong Thani Convention and Exhibition Center.
Activities on March 10, 2012
Activities on March 25-26, 2012
Diabetes Association of Thailand in cooperation with the Endocrine Society of Thailand and Pediatric Endocrine Society organized a memorable project “Delivery of Best Care for Type 1 Diabetes in the Celebrations on the Auspicious Occasion of His Majesty the King’s 7th Cycle Birthday Anniversary 5th December 2012. This is a 3-year project fully supported by Sanofi-aventis (Thailand) for activities, short and long acting insulin analogs and SMBG. The objectives of this project were to commemorating His Majesty the King’s 7th Cycle Birthday Anniversary, providing standard intensive insulin therapy for type 1 diabetics and building up multidisciplinary diabetes care teams. In September 2012, 84 type 1 diabetics aged 2.5- 46 years from various parts of Thailand were enrolled in the project with 23 multidisciplinary diabetes care teams. The flood came right after finishing enrollment resulted in a delay of project implementation for 4 months. The teaching and learning activities for intensive insulin therapy were as following
- Workshop for care teams on January 28, 2012 included carb-count, insulin-carb ratio and technique for adjusting insulin dose.
- Two camp activities were organized to cover all participants, one on April 2-4, 2012 and other on May 26-27, 2012. Each camp included type 1 patients with caregivers of children and adolescents and care team. The patients and caregivers learned carb-count, insulin-carb ratio, SMBG and insulin injection technique and adjusting insulin dose. The care teams provided service under supervision.
- A follow-up camp organized on October 27, 2012 for reviewing performance and adding appropriate self adjustment on special situations ie sick day, travelling, exercise and advice on how family coping with diabetes.
At the end of the first year, approximately 6 months on intensive therapy 70% of cases showed improvement of A1C. The mean A1C decreased from 9.1% to 8.2%. Hypoglycemia was noted in 31% of cases and 17% had hypoglycemia more than once a week.
World Diabetes Day 2012
Diabetes Association of Thailand announced November 4-14, 2012 for setting up World Diabetes Day’s activities. Diabetes Association of Thailand, Endocrine Society of Thailand, Royal College of Physicians of Thailand, National Health Security Office and the Ministry of Public Health joined to set up World Diabetes Day 2012 activities as following:
- A diabetes campaign activity at the Thai Public Broadcasting Service (ThaiPBS) building on November 4, 2012 with Video tape record. The tape will be broadcasted countrywide on ThaiPBS TV Channel on November 14 and 19, 2012.
- A diabetes campaign activity at Pramongkutkloa Army Hospital on November 11, 2012
- A “Human Blue Circle” symbolizing World Diabetes Day will be displayed in the afternoon of November 5, 2012.
- World Diabetes Day’s activity contest for any activities organized in primary, secondary and tertiary care centers
- Short Video clip contest for highlighting 2012 World Diabetes Day’s slogans: Diabetes: protect or future; Access to essential education for all; The way we live is putting our life at risk and People with diabetes facing stigma and discrimination.
Mobile Eye Units: Performance Outcomes
Two mobile eye units equipped with digital camera and laser therapy machine built by donation from World Diabetes Foundation and charity donation from the Royal Danish Embassy in Thailand in 2009. They work under grant support from the National Health Security Office and the Ministry of Public Health in cooperation with the Royal College of Ophthalmologists and Diabetes Association of Thailand. Two years of Service in 43 provinces, fundoscopic pictures were taken in 822,573 patients and diabetic retinopathy were detected in 101,783 cases (12.4%). Laser therapy was performed in 14,493 eyes.
This mobile service together with other diabetes service in outreach rural areas received the United Nations Public Service Award 2nd Place Winner for Advancing Knowledge Management in Government Category at United Nations, New York, USA on the 23th of June 2012.